Re: Do Oracle stored procedure support BLOB parameters?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/06/10

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:13:22 -0400, Tim Brett <tbrett_at_nortel.ca> wrote:

>My question as indicated in the subject line:
>
>"Do Oracle stored procedure support BLOB parameters?"
>
>and yes I have been reading the f*ing manual.
>
>Many thanks,
>Tim
>tbrett_at_nortel.ca

Assuming that you are implying Oracle8 (because of the term BLOB), the short answer to your question is "yes". LOBs in Oracle8 are manipulated via a "locator"...sort of like a pointer to the actual LOB value. To manipulate a LOB value, you must first access the locator for it.

This locator is a scalar value and can be passed as a parameter to PL/SQL procedures, external function callouts, etc. This applies to both internal LOBs (data stored *in* the database) and external LOBs (or BFILEs, essentially binary data stored *outside* of the database).

There is a very lengthy but lucid discussion of LOBs in chapter 6 of the Oracle8 Application Developer's Guide.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Jun 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message