Forms 5.0 - Excel integration, HELP!!!

From: Adrian Klingel <klingela_at_nospam.nt.com>
Date: 1998/06/05

Please help me. I want to open a excel document in my form. I guess it has to be as a linked document. Here's the functionality:

  1. The user double-clicks on a test item, which calls the get_file_name function.
  2. The user chooses an excel file from whatever directory.
  3. The file name appears in the text item.
  4. The Excel file appears in an OLE container below.
  5. After looking at the Excel file, the user clicks a button called "LOAD". This button loads the values from the Excel file into the database.

Steps 1-3 are no problem. I don't know how to insert the OLE item into the container at runtime, or how to load the values into the database. I've got the PL/SQL library excel.pll from the demos, and it has been modified appropriately for the Excel97 object model. There is a built-in called TABLE_FROM_BLOCK, but Oracle has been very explicit (in the Release Notes) that it is NOT SUPPORTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and is for internal use only. Which I guess is another way of saying "It's broken, and we couldn't fix it in time."

Alternately, I also don't know how to save the file itself into the database, though I do know it goes into a LONG RAW field. I'd rather save the individual values, though.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me. I've asked this question about 50 times and no one has answered it yet.

Adrian Klingel

[Quoted] [Quoted] By the way, does anyone know what "IMHO" stands for? Received on Fri Jun 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message