forms 4.5: newbie: dynamic list items

From: H. John C. Hopkins <john_nospam_at_hpe.ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:10:31 -0400

Hello.

[Quoted] I must be missing something. I have several list items in various blocks that need to draw from lookup tables on the server. I'd like to repopulate them on a "when-new-block-instance" trigger, so that the list elements & values always show the most recent updates to the lookup tables.

Seems to me that you can't tie a list item to a query-based record group at design time (kinda frustrating, by the way). That's fine, but that means A LOT of repetitive code just to get these list items to repopulate, i.e., having to do a populate_list call for each individual item.

[Quoted] I thought I could set the value of the list item's Comments property to the [Quoted] name of the record group the list item draws from. In the when-new-block-instance trigger, I could loop through all the list items in [Quoted] a given block, repopulating them with the contents of a record group by simply drawing the record group name from the Comments property.

Am I missing something here?

Many thanks for help.

-John C. Hopkins
john_at_hpe.ufl.edu Received on Thu Jun 04 1998 - 23:10:31 CEST

Original text of this message