Re: Q: howto define editor in Oracle8 client

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 00:58:53 GMT

On 03 Jun 1998 08:32:19 -0700, David Doll <djd_at_saul2.u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Hello, I have the Oracle 8 client for my NT4.0 box and when I run SQL*Plus
>and type edit, I get notepad as a editor. Is there a way to change that so
>emacs is my editor? Thanks for your time and help.

SQL> DEFINE _EDITOR = EMACS That's assuming EMACS is the command to start your editor. If you just type DEFINE by itself, you will see a list of variables that have been defined. The _EDITOR variable should be one, and it should refer to NOTEPAD.

One caveat. It may not work well if your editor handles multiple files with one instance of the executable. I use Multiedit as my editor. it can edit multiple files, but doesn't load another copy of itself into memory each time you open a file. Instead you just get multiple windows, one for each file. This caused problems because SQL*Plus will run your editor, and wait for the executable to be terminated before continuing. Since closing a file in multiedit doesn't neccessarily terminate the editor--I usually have multiple files open, control wouldn't go back to SQL*Plus. If Multiedit was alread open when I used the SQL*Plus edit command, I had problems as well. I finally gave up. Now I edit w/my editor, and cut/paste into SQL*Plus.

regards,

Jonathan Gennick Received on Thu Jun 04 1998 - 02:58:53 CEST

Original text of this message