tablespace datafile sizes?

From: Peter Chan <chanp_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 1998/06/01

[Quoted] [Quoted] I read in an oracle performance tuning book that a datafile for a given [Quoted] tablespace should not exceed 500M, is that a good rule of thumb?

Or can we make the tablespace 1G if necessary?

Because I have a table that has grown to 500M and beyond and I would like to recreate it with an initial extent that would encompass the whole table, but a tables initial extent should not exceed the size of a tablespace datafile.

So if I create a tablespace datafile that is 1G, then I could fit the entire table into the initial extent.

Thanks a bunch!

PETER CHAN, Northern Telecom PHONE: (613) 763-9096 FAX: (613) 763-4408 EMAIL: chanp_at_nortel.ca