Re: Oracle Report 3.0 vs Crystal Report 6.0

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 15:34:30 GMT

"Cathay Pacific" <cpa_at_cathaypacific.com> wrote:

>I would like to know if there is any review or document comparing the above
>products. What is your opinion? (say, Ease of use, Web Capability,
>Flexibility, etc ...)
>
>Thanks in advance!

I am not sure of a comparison site ( or cite, for that matter) but I have been using both of those products and offer the following thoughts...

For most reporting needs, Crystal will be easier to use and is a little less resource hungry than Oracle - it can handle most common reporting tasks ( std, Master-Detail, etc...) has a good formula editor, and, all in all, is a very good reporting tool.

Oracle Reports is robust and capable of doing more complex multi-table, multi-view reports and is a true client-server app, the report processing is mostly handled on the Server, so it's faster for complex reports....

In short, both are excellent tools and I like having both to choose from, depending on the report I want to create....Oracle's v3 of the Report Designer is a major improvement on previous version - if it were 2.5, I would stay with Crystal only.....

Hope it helps,
John Greco
Oracle DBA and Application Developer
MnDOT Human Resource Office
Email to john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 17:34:30 CEST

Original text of this message