Re: OCI 8 application using Oracle 7 DB

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:20:46 GMT

On Thu, 28 May 1998 13:46:22 GMT, "rakesh" <rakesh_at_mci2000.com> wrote:

>If one writes a OCI application using the OCI 8 calls, does not use any
>of the new features of OCI 8, will the application work seamlessly against
>a Oracle 7 database server ?
>
>Does one have make any code changes / relinking of OCI libraries ?
>
>thanks
>rakesh

From the Oracle Call Interface Programmer's Guide:

"New applications written completely in the release 8.0 OCI will work seamlessly against both Oracle7 and Oracle8 servers with the following exceptions:

Against Oracle7 servers, none of Oracle8’s object features are supported, and the following datatypes are not supported: – SQLT_NTY - named data type
– SQLT_REF - reference to named data type in host language representation.

– SQLT_CLOB - a character LOB data type.
– SQLT_BLOB - a binary LOB data type.
– SQLT_NCLOB - a national character set LOB data type.
– SQLT_NCHAR - fixed or varying national character set datatype.
– SQLT_BFILE - a binary FILE LOB data type.
– SQLT_RSET - result set data type.

....."

All of the calls that have changed from OCI 7 to OCI 8 are documented in this manual. But to answer your question, if you write an OCI 8 application with the qualifications you have defined (and documented in the manual....in essence, not to use calls specific to Oracle8 features), you will only have to compile and link against the Oracle8 OCI 8 libraries. This will work *seamlessly* for either Orace7 or Oracle8 database servers.
Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 16:20:46 CEST

Original text of this message