Re: Designer/2000 - Reverse Engineering

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 29 May 1998 05:42:24 GMT

>I am trying to reverse engineer a database:
>
>RON -> Utilities -> Reverse Engineer Database
>
>Under the Options tab I fill out all the fields but the OK button is
>grayed out.
>
>If I select the Objects tab, it says: ORA-12154: TNS could not resolve
>service name
>
>At the same time if I go to RON -> Tools -> SQL*Plus, I can connect
>successfully to that very remote database I am trying to reverse
>engineer.

I do not have Designer in front of me, and I know it is a little complicated to do it but I'll give it a shot...

The object owner is the Owner on the DB you are reverse engineering. You also need to provide the database. In this field put the real instance name, not a TNS alias. This is used to build a DATABASE LINK, which I believe does not use TNS names.

Good Luck

Dan Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 07:42:24 CEST

Original text of this message