SQL*Loader Question

From: Terry Ball <terry_ball_at_csgsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:03:56 -0600

[Quoted] One of our programmers asked me a question about SQL*Loader which I could not
answer. I am hoping someone out there can help.

Basically the problem is this. He has a field which can be as much as 25 characters in
length. However, most of the time it will only have ten characters. He wants to
eliminate the trainling blanks. Sounds easy. But the problems is, sometimes there may
be blanks imbedded in the data. So the data coule look something like 'dir 453 7'. It
would come over in a file looking lik 'dir 453 7 '. He wants to preserve the
impedded blanks but eliminate the trailing blanks. We will be using direct load, so the
rtrim function is not an option.

Is there a way to do this?

We are using Oracle 7.3.3.5 on an IBM SP2 with AIX 4.1 and 4.2.

TIA. Terry Ball
DBA
CSG Systems, Inc.
terry_ball_at_csgsystems.com Received on Wed May 27 1998 - 18:03:56 CEST

Original text of this message