datatype questions

From: H Nesmith <cchln_at_alinga.newcastle.edu.au>
Date: 26 May 1998 23:26:20 GMT

Hello-

[Quoted] I am new to Oracle and am not a database expert in general, so please excuse these questions if they seem obvious.

I'm trying to get the data from an Access database I have been working on into Oracle tables so I can do things with it. I'm creating a table in Oracle with the same field names as my Access table, and same datatypes and linking to it in Access and then doing an append query to slurp the data
into the Oracle table.

My question is: where I have a counter/autonumber in Access, what is the equivalent Oracle datatype? I found ROWID, but I'm not sure if thi s
is the same thing. Should I import the auto-numbered counter fields into Oracle as NUMBER and then change the datatype to ROWID? I bet that won't work... should I create an empty ROWID field in the Oracle table and not import any data in from Access, letting Oracle number it?

Am I completely wrong in all this? Any help would be very very much appreciated, I am feeling my way with SQL plus and online docs, and feeling bewildered.

TIA,
Hope

--
 Hope Nesmith                                           _at_..@