Forms 4.5: Validating a multi-record block prior to commit time

From: Todd Owers <ToddO_at_gcr1.com>
Date: 25 May 1998 22:02:59 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have a multi-record block that has 2 validation requirements:

  1. no duplicate entries
  2. an entry of "None" is mutually exclusive with any other entry. In other words, if "None" is entered, it must be the only entry.

If either of these conditions is violated, I want to display an alert prior to commit time, but I can't figure out how to do it. I know how to test for duplicate entries by using a When-Validate-Item trigger to compare the current item to values fetched from the database, but that is not what I want to do here. I want to compare the items to each other, not to the database.

There must be a way to do this. I was thinking about using a non-query record group. In a When-Validate-Record trigger, I would add each record to the group, so the contents of the block and the record group would be identical. As each record is added to the record group, I would loop through the existing records and perform the two tests.

Does this sound like the best way to accomplish what I want? Or is there a quicker, more efficient way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd Owers
toddo_at_gcr1.com Received on Tue May 26 1998 - 00:02:59 CEST

Original text of this message