Re: tell updated fields from within a trigger - how ?

From: Rod Corderey <Lane_Associates_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 12:06:20 +0100

Hi,

I think the method depends really on why you need to know.

Also the structure of the update statement is governed by whether column security is enabled and whether the block property 'update changed columns' is true or false.
In the default scenario, the update statement contains all attributes. In the alternative the update statement only contains those that have been changed.

Either way there is no simple method for seeing the actual statement from the pre-update and anyway, as you say, the change might have been to set the value to itself making the update statement structure irrelevant.

There is method using when_timer_expired to mirror the data set and control the view of the mirror to only contain real progressive changes, and there are a lot of alternative flavours in this method.

Hence my starting point of 'why do you need to?'. The reason for the need is often a better pointer to the solution rather than the need itself.

I'm not sure that the above is particularly helpful, but perhaps you could post some more info.

regards

Rod Corderey
Lane Associates
Lane_Associates_at_Compuserve.com