Re: Dynamic SQL Vs Static SQL using Pro*C..

From: michael twaddell TWA <175501_at_dallas.dseg.ti.com>
Date: 1998/05/22

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> So dynamic sql does not decrease performance but not using bind variables will
> (in general). There are cases when you don't want to use bind variables (data
> warehouses that rely heavily on the CBO come to mind) but for most applications
> bind variables are the way to go...

Thomas,
[Quoted] [Quoted] Could you expand on this for me? I thought that we should always use bind
variables. What is it about Data Warehouse and the Cost Based Optimizer that
make this different? Admittedly, I don't work much with Data Warehouse applications at the present, but this intrigued me. I've also looked in the
Administrator's and Application Developer's guides, but cannot find a reference
to this. I really appreciate your input to this newsgroup and would be grateful
for any information you can provide. Thanks in advance.

--
Michael Twaddell
Raytheon Systems