OLE Weirdness

From: Michael Toomey <michaelt_at_americanrecruitment.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:35:49 -0700

I am flailing around with OLE and Forms4.5... Any help would be appreicated.

Using the examples provided with Dev2k (v1.3), I find that the code for calling "Word.Basic" (ie. OLE2.CREATE_OBJ('Word.Basic') works ... it will open a window with word when the button is pressed.

But that is the only code I've been able to get to work.

Opening 'Excel.Application.8' or 'Word.Application' or 'Outlook.Application' or whatever will not bring up a new window. If I look at the Windows task manager, I notice that the application is actually spawned (winword, excel...), but I cannot access the application in any way -- programmatically or otherwise.

Here is the ultimate goal:

  1. while on a contact in forms, click on 'email' and have an outlook compose window come up with the contact name
  2. have multiple word templates available via forms... eg. click on 'create contract' and have the contact information automatically filled into a word template.

i know that this is all possible, but can't even get the ole samples to work. is there some sort of 'ole registration' i have to go through on my pc, or am i just missing a command here and there?

thanks for any insight.
-mt

mailto:michaelt_at_home.com Received on Thu May 21 1998 - 21:35:49 CEST

Original text of this message