Re: Oracle Developer 2000 Reports Multi Tier Server

From: oracle <oracle_at_domain.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:36:49 -0400

I have done this. Infact I had Dev2k 1.3.2 forms (forms 4.5)runing on the client machines. I also had Dev2k 2.0 reports(reports 3.0) runtime installed on the client machine. A middle tier was set up with Oracle Dev2k 2.0 report server (3.0 I guess). Since the call to the report server was made using forms 4.5, I had use HOST built-in. All you need to do is call R30CLI32.EXE with appropriate parameters. Usually there is a limit on the size of the command line. You can get around that by using CMDFILE parameter and using a file to supply parameters. The file is returned in a PDF or HTML format as requested.

It was worth the effort. The performance gains were 10 fold. For you it will depend on a) current network capacity and b) client machine. If they both are on lower end you will see enormous performance gains.

Don't have time for more details, but you can send me an email and I will be happy to answer any specific questions.

Kalpesh Patel
kxpatel_at_us.oracle.com