Oracle 7.x and VB 5

From: Damond Walker <dwalker_at_newarklx.black-oak.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 09:38:12 -0400

I've begun to have some problems recently with one of my VB5 applications which talk to an Oracle 7.x database. Mind you, the application was once about as rock solid as it could be given their fluid environment.

Recently the DBA went and removed the inital indexes I created because he said they were "too big" -- I'm like "so, it works, leave it alone." Anyway, he's the DBA so what he says goes. So now, all of a sudden we are having all sorts of problems with the application. Generating duplicate key values (now, these "keys" do not nessecarily have to be unique but 99% of the time they are), etc.

Well, I'm thinking we are getting these problems because the ODBC connection to Oracle isn't firing off commits fast enough so in the critical sections of the app I send commit statements over to the server to hopefully force the write immediatly.

What I can't see is how come the application worked flawlessly for the last four months and then all of a sudden puke? They have been having some problems with the server over the last couple of weeks (due to an another ignoramous at the site who has a nasty tendency to blowup the rollback segments). Anyway, the DBA says it's a concurrency issue...maybe it is...but that doesn't explain all the mismashed handling of the key values.

He has gone as far as to suggest moving the app to SQL Server or Access, which I don't really want to do if you know what I mean? :)

I've also noticed in some of the oracle documentation about setting the autocommit to immediate. Would this help with this situation?

I'm using VB5, Jet (don't ask why), and the Oracle 7.x odbc client.

Thanx for any help.

// Damond Walker \\// [moribund_at_netgsi.com] \\
// Will Program For Beer //\\ No job too tough... \\
// <<No Vacancy>> \\// ...no fee too high! \\