Re: developer/2000 2.0 questions

From: Rich Kaiser <richard.kaiser_at_rtp.ppdi.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:48:26 GMT

 Mindaugas Vieraitis wrote:

> ..3) I has scripts for my own database. How to build this database using
> developer/2000? ...Mindaugas Vieraitis e-mail: mindaugas_at_nm3.ktu.lt

Hey Mindaugas,

This is what I think:

>Developer 2000 helps make user programs that access Oracle databases.

                            It's a GUI.

>SQL Scripts that create database tables can be executed in the command

   line environment of SQL*Plus.

                            It's a text interface

>Designer 2000 helps make databases.

    Creating a database with Des2K rather than SQL is analogous to     creating programs with Developer 2000 rather than PL/SQL.

>SQL*Plus connections comprise these components:

    -SQL*Plus software installed on a workstation     -An entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA file describing the host computer.

                                            (ip address, short name[alias],
technical stuff)

    -A good connection (Network connection if db isn't on the workstation)    -A working Oracle Database Instance (described by tnsnames.ora)     -TNSLISTENER running with the database     Note: If you install the Database software yourself and install SQL*Net,

        the database and tnslistener run automatically.     A user name/password.(system/manager only works on starter systems)

>If you can't connect with SQL*Plus, go to the link in the other response

    your post and troubleshoot, Your error, 03121, sounds like you haven't     installed SQL*Net. You need to install this on your workstation from     the Oracle Products, or Oracle Server installation disk.

>SQL*Net needs to be setup with the SQL*Net Easy Configuration program

    (Easy Config installs when you install SQL*Net Client software.)

>If the Oracle database is running on the same computer as SQL*Plus - a

    database name of "Tcp-loopback" will connect successfully.

>If the Oracle database is running on a different machine (server) you will

    need to know the IP address... (and the other stuff asked for when you     run Easy Config)

>SQL*Net, once setup and working, will let you use SQL*Plus to run

    your scripts. Once your scripts run successfully, you will use Developer

    2000 Forms to create programs that show data and allow data entry.

>Developer 2000 is a tool for creating programs

>Designer 2000 is a tool for creating databases

>Both have multiple versions in production.

>SQL*Plus is an application allowing users to enter PL/SQL

                   PL/SQL is Oracle's language

>SQL*Net controls the user connection to the database.

Hope it helps, good luck. Rich Received on Tue May 19 1998 - 20:48:26 CEST

Original text of this message