Re: Oracle 8/NT4/NCA/Financials 11.0 -- would you try it?

From: cpbbb <cpbrady_at_frontiernet.net>
Date: 19 May 1998 01:54:26 GMT

I've run Oracle 7.3.3 (and am going to upgrade to O8 this week) an instance on a DEC ALPHA running NT 4.0. When properly configured (Oracle parameters, etc) with enough memory (physical machine memory and Oracle SGA), this thing is a screamer!! It can outperform MUCH larger systems. Please note \-- this is a TEST system - not production.

There are lots of questions to fill in blanks for your answers: How big is your company? How many transactions will the system have to handle, and what are the peaks? How many users - max and 'normal' (whatever that is!!).
Are financials considered 'mission critical' for your company? If you don't want or can't handle occasional (!) downtime, then stay away from NT. With any reasonable server load, it'll tend (what I've seen) to go down at least once in a six week period (and usually when you can least afford it!!).

Without trying to quote numbers, I'd surmise that you're on a bit of a 'bleeding edge' with this configuration. What other computing capability does your company have? UNIX? AS/400? PC/Servers?? The right answer has a lot to do with:
How much can you afford to spend?
How risk tolerant are you?
Can you get the kind of consulting support you need if you don't have the expertise in-house?
etc....

Regards,

Craig Brady
Talisman Technologies Inc.