Synchronizing applications between repositories

From: Marc Maes <mmaes_at_tref.nl>
Date: 1998/05/16

    Hello,

I am currently working on a Des/2000-project, which involves two sites working on the same project. Because of the distance, both sites are not connected through a network. Site A has the original repository with a set of application-systems in it. Site B has a copy of this repository and has defined an extra application-system in which they work exclusively. Also, site B does not change any elements in the application-systems of site A. However, site B needs to refer to elements from an application-system of site A by sharing. (Still with me?)

Now, after (almost) having completed working on their part of the project, site B wants to merge their application-system into the repository of site A, so the complete project can be delivered to the customer.
Here is were the trouble starts; how can we transfer an application-system from B to A and merge it seamlessly into the existing repository? Des/2000 offers these tools:
- Export/Import: the shares from will result in a skeleton-system. All
shares from B's app.sys. point to the skeleton instead of the original base-app.sys. All these shares will then have to be removed and reshared manually. This practically means breaking down the entire new app.sys. Therefore, this is not a solution.
- Unload/Load: is meant for small numbers of elements only.

  • Check-out/Check-in: works quite well, but is buggy. For instance, some elements which are included in the User Defined Set do not unload.

Knowing which elements are going to be left out in the rco-file would save me quite some time. Does anyone know which elements will be left out by Check-Out and why?

And has anyone already countered a similar situation? How did you deal with it? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Marc Maes

PS: replying to my e-mail address would also be appreciated! mmaes_at_tref.nl Received on Sat May 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message