Re: Moving Designer repository

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_jeffreyjacobs.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:48:56 GMT

"Bjørn Pedersen" <skytten_at_online.no> wrote:

>We have two repositories installed (on separate locations). In connection
>with evaluating Designer 2.1 we want to export the two repositories and
>reload in one installation based on Oracle 8. When we moved one installation
>last summer we solved that by exporting and importing the repository owner.
>That worked fine, but I don't think we can use the same method now.
>Does anybody have an idea about how we can solve this?

Do you mean that you want to merge the two repostories into a single repository? If so, that means that you should probably do the following (which I would consider least risk).

  1. use the Rep Admin Utility to backup *one* of the repostories, create your new repository as a R1.3 repository.
  2. use the Archive facility to export the applications from the other repository and then Restore it to the new R1.3 repository.
  3. upgrade the new R1.3 repostiory to R2.1

Alternatively, use the Archive facility to export applications from both of the R1.3 repostories and use the Restore facility to restore them into a R2.1 repostory.

Pay very close attention to the results of your data schema model and any Reports modules you might have. The data schema model has changes significantly from R1.3. The relationships between data base object, USER/SCHEMA and DATABASE have changed significantly, and DDL generation is now for a "USER/SCHEMA within a DATABASE" instead of a "DATABASE".

They also made a lot of changes to Reports modules, which will almost certainly cause problems in migration.

Remember that 2.1 is still a "zero" point release, and that there was only one round of beta testing. Under no circumstances should you place yourself in a position where you have not guaranteed that you can go back to R1.3.

Also, you might want to attend the ODTUG Spring Conference in Palm Springs, June 2-5 for the most comprehensive coverage of R2 available.

-JJ

Visit our new website at http://www.jeffreyjacobs.com

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle Designer/2000 Consulting & Training  951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119, Belmont, CA 94002  Voice: 650-571-1457, FAX: 800-665-1379
 Email: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com
 Web: http://www.jeffreyjacobs.com

Don't miss ODTUG's Spring Conference, June 2-5, Palm Spring, CA. See http://www.odtug.com for more information! Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 18:48:56 CEST

Original text of this message