Re: Can anyone help with PL/SQL?

From: Marcel Claus <Marcel.Claus_at_Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:39:33 +0100

Sean Dolan wrote:

> Good Morning,
> We are in the development stages of a large Oracle Database project and
> the task we are currently on involves creating a "pre-index" table. This
> basically is a table full of words extracted from fields within other
> tables in order to increase the speed of the queries. Queries reference
> the "pre-index" table which then tells the query what records to reference
> in the LARGE table - that way the query doesn;t have to search through the
> entire LARGE table looking for the keywords. Has anyone had experience in
> doing this? The problem, I am having is that I am doing it with a cursor
> and it is REALLY SLOW - where we only have a 2 Meg "practice" table. The
> roll-out table will be in excess of 60 Megs.
>
> Much Appreciated,
> Sean Dolan
> Sr Systems Engineer, 3Si
> MCSE, MCP + Internet

Another question:What tools are you using and what columns are indexed? Normally the fastest way is using plain SQL-Statements, but if you have more complex tasks you should trie putting all the code in one stored procedure and program the cursor control yourself. This minimizes the network-traffic and makes all the tasks run on a fast machine (your server).
Also it could speed up the whole thing using only one table or defining a cluster.
Maybe you have to tune the database also setting system global area and blocksizes to make optimal use of your RAM.

Marcel Received on Thu May 14 1998 - 17:39:33 CEST

Original text of this message