Re: Definition of a optimized database ?

From: <cmohan_at_iname.com>
Date: 1998/05/12

If you are talking about the logical and physical database layouts, "Optimal Flexibile Architecture" will be good reading material (present in most ORACLE DBA books, expecially the one by Kevin Loney - ORACLE Press).

If you are asking about performance goals, well it is typically driven by business requirements. Thats what makes tuning so excting - a successful solution for one installation will not work for another. Lot of factors like system availability requirements, being able to pay for extra or reduntatnt resources (disks etc) determine the amount of tuning you can perform.

Enough said, and from a user's perspective, if he presses a button on the window, and sits there for, say 2 minutes (the amount of time also is driven by user) that is not acceptable.