Re: Oracle Server IP Address Question...

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/05/12

The answer to your question is "it depends". Your client PC applications (and potentitally your UNIX client applications) are connecting to the Oracle database via SQL*Net. And since you are already using TCP/IP, I'll assume that you're using SQL*Net on top of TCP/IP. When your client application specifies a connect string, this is resolved to an entry in your TNSNAMES.ORA file on the client (assuming you aren't using Oracle Names). If the "host" specification is by name and not by IP address, then all you need to ensure is that the hosts files or DNS servers are properly updated with the new IP address of the server. If the "host" specification is by IP address in the TNSNAMES.ORA files (on the client machines), then you will need to update the IP address in this file.

As an example, an entry in my TNSNAMES.ORA file looks like:

bulldog =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = tcp)(HOST = 138.2.94.175)(PORT = 1521))     (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL))
  )

In this case, I'm explicitly specifying the host by address and not by name. So if my server IP address changed, I would need to update this entry.

On Tue, 12 May 1998 19:55:16 -0700, Jimmy <c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
> If the IP address of the Oracle server (on UNIX) is changed, do I need
>to modify the application programs (these programs need to connect to
>the Oracle) in order to connect with the Oracle again? These programs
>are running on PC and on UNIX.
>
>Thanks,
>Jimmy

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue May 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message