Re: Date Masking

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 8 May 1998 15:16:47 GMT

In article <6isk33$ddt$1_at_supernews.com>, Ken Halsted <kenman_at_mail.snider.net> wrote:
>I'm using Designer 2000 to generate a form. My NLS_DATE_FORMAT in the
>registry is MMDDRRRR so that the user's don't have to enter the slashes when
>entering a date.
>
>Is there a way to have the form put the slashes in (just for the sake of
>looking better) after the date is keyed. How do developers normally handle
>this? Does everyone always just force the users to enter the slashes on
>every date field?

We use the following convention: For all input dates, they are displayed and entered in the format, MMDDYY. We always run a function that infers the correct century by forcing the century for YY to be correct for 10 years ahead and 89 years before the current year.

For all display-only dates, we put the slashes in: MM/DD/YY.

Lately on dates on forms, I have been adding a When-Mouse-Doubleclick trigger that displays the date in MM/DD/YYYY and also include the time if it is not zero.

It would sure be nice if there were an easy way to allow dates in input fields to be displayed with slashes, yet input without. I believe it can be done using the on-error trigger to trap format mask input errors and replacing the date with the correct format mask, but I wish it were an automatic option.

Since I don't use Designer 2000, I'm not sure how much, if any, of the above you could accomplish from within that tool.

Regards,
Steve Cosner

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088
Downloadable Quick Access utility form: Display and update any table. Received on Fri May 08 1998 - 17:16:47 CEST

Original text of this message