Distributed Database Capabilities

From: <rrobinso_at_aisvt.bfg.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 08:44:42 -0600

Can anyone tell me if Oracle8 provides the type of distributed database access support for "slices" thru databases as it does when distributing individual tables across the network?

All the tech reports and documentation discuss distribution from the viewpoint that you will distribute different tables across the network (i.e. the EMP table resides locally and the DEPT table is remote).

I have an application wherein ALL of the tables (the entire schema) is duplicated (don't say replicated, yet) across multiple sites, and inventory data local to that site resides therein. What I'm looking Oracle8 to provide is a transparent means of accessing, say, ALL sites' data from a single location using distribution. So, rather than slicing the schema up by tables and distributing the entire table remotely, this method uses the same schema in remote sites, but distributes the DATA.

Can Oracle8's distributed network facilities reconstruct this remote data back at a local site transparently?, or will I have to code up special PL/SQL statements to access the remote data as a group?

Or, is this a better candidate for replication (a more traditional view of providing "remote" access to a local machine by simply (ha,ha) copying the remote data to the local site and then doing an actual local query). I would hope to avoid the downside of replication (latency, storage, etc.) thru the use of distributed access, but all the Oracle manual examples show they've sliced the schema up by tables, not by data.

-= Bob Robinson =-