Re: Help on SQL

From: Prasad Chavali <pchavali_at_assettech.com>
Date: 4 May 1998 10:57:00 -0700

This is answer for part1

SQL> select * from test1;

    SITNO NAME                                     CATEGORY
--------- ---------------------------------------- --------------
      500 Mahesh                                   UNIX

SQL> insert into test1
  2 select max(sitno)+1, 'Menon', 'DOS' from test1;

1 row created.

SQL> select * from test1;

    SITNO NAME                                     CATEGORY
--------- ---------------------------------------- --------------
      500 Mahesh                                   UNIX
      501 Menon                                    DOS

This is for part2
SQL> alter table test1 add mylong long;

Table altered.

SQL> desc test1;

 Name                            Null?    Type
 SITNO                                    NUMBER
 NAME                                     VARCHAR2(40)
 CATEGORY                                 VARCHAR2(30)
 MYLONG                                   LONG

SQL> insert into test1(sitno, name, category) values   2 (502, 'NEW', 'SQL'); 1 row created.

Ofcourse, I was assuming you are not trying to put values into the LONG field. Then you may have to define cursor and use PL/SQL.

HTH Prasad Chavali