Re: Partial Commit Handling?

From: Rod Corderey <Lane_Associates_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 08:43:04 +0100

Hi,

Although the record is not hidden from other users, in Forms 4.5 as soon as the user keys anything into a base table item, then a lock is taken out on that row. Given this, a second user who attempts to make changes to the same row will be notified and prevented from changing that row.

The vital thing is that during the time from the first key stroke of the user making the change to the point of commit or rollback of that change, then other users are prevented from changing that row and the changes being made are private to the user making the change. All of which is critical in a multi-user environment if read-consistency is to be maintained.

Depending on the total application, is hiding the right answer? In many scenarios hiding rows that are being worked on by others would be immensely confusing as a user would never know whether an item was hidden or missing.

In one application I worked on recently, I used an on-lock trigger to flag an intermediate table that a change was in progress, so that other users querying the flagged item were notified on their screens that some-one somewhere else was changing that item and they were then tidyly prevented from making changes themselves. However, it can get messy as you obviously have to commit the flagging whilst maintaining the ability of the user making the change to rollback transparently and for the changes they are making to be transparent to other users.

Hope its helpful,

regards

Rod Corderey
Lane Associates