Re: Does Oracle have a tool like T.O.A.D.?

From: GHouck <hksys_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 05:58:07 GMT

Suresh Bhat wrote:

> I have not used toadsoft so far but have downloaded it for experimentation.
> Please do not denigrate SQL*Plus. I have designed many many reports
> including invoices on pre-formatted forms in SQL*Plus.
> All you need is a little imagination !!! In my books, SQL*Plus is a very
> simple reporting tool and very easy to learn. I may be alone in the Oracle
> community for saying that but I have not used SQL*ReportWriter or Oracle
> reports in last 6 years even though I have used them at my previous jobs.

I think that comparing TOAD and SQL*Plus is an apples and oranges situation. Just as the acronym suggests, TOAD is a tool for Oracle application development, not just an SQL executive. There is no disputing the power of SQL*Plus, but the interface is atrocious. It is one tiny Windows step up from the SQLDBA console program, which maintained its own level of silliness. I find it difficult to believe that a better quality of user interface (text or graphic) cannot be squeezed out of a company of Oracle's size. It is almost as if they relegated the interface design to their beginning programmers, to give them experience with the API, or OCI, or whatever ... the interface be damned.

Yours,

Geoff Houck
systems hk
hksys_at_teleport.com