Re: Backup Tools for Oracle ??

From: <brendan_o'brien_at_wrightexpress.com>
Date: 1998/04/29

Can't offer a solution, but can reinforce your fear of ArcServe's Oracle 'hot backup' agent on NT:

We tried using it once, and on first execution it blew away the entire Oracle database to the point where it had to be reinstalled from scratch. Yes, you read correctly: not simply the data, but the software, schema, data, procedures, EVERYTHING! Cheyenne support was of no help at all. Granted, this was a year ago so maybe they've worked out the kinks, but...

The backup suggestion we got from Oracle was to NEVER do hot backups using any product, that the only safe backup was a cold one, which is what we now do.

Sorry. Maybe you'll get an actual suggestion from someone else. I look forward to seeing it...

-Brendan