Re: Synonyms

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:09:27 -0700

E. Nunns wrote:

> We have just moved from a user grants configuration to a role based grants
> configuration. Does anyone know how synonyms fit with this configuration.
>
> It looks as if we still need one synonym per table per user, so even a
> fairly small application needs a huge number of synonyms.

[Quoted] No that is not so. You need one synonym per table per role. All users associated with that role have access to the synonym. You can associate a synonym to a user or a role.

Obviously, you need to associate all users with a role. And do the same with grants for access to the tables.

You can mix and match using synonyms and grants with zero or more users and zero or more roles. Generally, roles are much easier to recreate if you did something like drop a table. You need to reapply the grants (and synonyms) to that role and any users directly associated with that table.

> Is there anyway that we can create common synonyms for a specific group of
> users (based on the role that they have been given for instance).

One table or view or procedure at a time ??

Mike Krolewski