Re: Referencing Items Indirectly in PL/SQL

From: Rod Corderey <Lane_Associates_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:14:29 +0100

Hi John,

Not really.

I think the main answer is that doing so tends to breach the object nature of functions and procedures. This has long been an arquement against name_in and copy in that non-plsql object names usually have to be embedded in what otherwise would be abstract code. [unless you use more than one layer of abstraction].

This makes , for instance, migration to server-side difficult.

Given that PLSQL can return values and pass values as IN OUT , can I be rude and ask why you need to use the equivalent of NAME_IN and COPY?

regards

Rod Corderey

Lane Associates
Lane_Associates_at_Compuserve.com