Re: Can anybody explain to me what spam-free web-based newsreading is ?

From: Steven Flanders <sflanders_at_scgp.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:16:03 -0400

SPAM is unwanted email

it usually comes from rotten sales people that roam the newsgroups for their target audience and then start sending unwanted advertisements to you. It really is a nuicense. One way to try and get around being spammed is to change your return to addresses, like joe_at_compu.net might be changed to

    joe&AT&compu_1234_DOT com

most people that are real interested will be able to figure out what the original email is. It is however hard to create a prgram to remove all of that junk.

many people dont put a valid return address at all.

Here is a not so funny article on the problem that AOL is having with spam (scroll down)
http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/thesite/news/news_101097.html

basically if you search altavista <http://www.altavista.digital.com> with a searchstring like this:

        +"spam wars" +AOL
you'll get alot of matches.

"Spam free" is a selling point for mail servers. This means that the server will not allow a foreign users to send any mail messages.