Re: Goodbye to compiling and linking. Every Database guy must know this!

From: Robert Fernandes <rfernand_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 1998/04/20

If you have Emacs (X or NT version) you can use the perl debugger with a meta-command of "M-x perldb". The debugger works similar to gdb (a command line c debugger). If you don't have Emacs, then for goodness sake please download it from and GNU archive - it's free and useful at the same time (just as perl is).

Ping Liu wrote:

> Are there any degugging tools available for perl?
>
> gold_bag_at_yahoo.com wrote in article <352BCE60.53BF_at_yahoo.com>...
> > I hope this helps the software professionals/managers like you....
> >
> > Computer speeds are doubling every 4 months, hence it makes sense to
> > program in scripting language instead of C++, where a lot of time is
> > wasted in compiling and linking. In C++ every change or even a small
> > change in code requires compile and re-link and you do that thousands
> > of times during development. Also in C++ you will
> > have memory leak problems which are very hard to debug and you get
> > many core dumps etc. You will be wasting several hours/days in
> > debugging memory problems in C++. Perl does not have these
> > problems at all!!

    _   |      Robert Fernandes - LLNL AIS Department      |   _
 _( /_  |      Phone:       (925) 423-1397                 |  _) )_
(((\ \) |_     Fax:         (925) 423-5882                _| (/ /)))
(\\\\ \_/ )    LLNL Email:  rfernand_at_llnl.gov            ( \_/ ////)
 \       /                  fernandes6_at_llnl.gov           \        /
  /   / |      Home Email:  rfernand_at_ainet.com             | \    \