Re: SQL*Plus & substitution vars

From: Erik E. Bengtson <erikbengtson_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/04/14

Dr. Matthews,

    There is a great Graphical Oracle Database Browser called SQL*Pro. It allows you to run up to 10 SQL statements at the same time. ( It is a multithreaded application ). Each statement has it's own window. Each of these windows keep statistics, such as start time, time run so far, and end time. In the event you don't want to wait for the SQL statement to complete, you can cancel it with the touch of a button, without affecting any other running statements. When the statement is cancelled, you won't need to talk to your DBA for anything, because it is a clean cancel through Oracle's OCI API.

    Also, it allows you to define a substitution variable, and change it at will.
When you run an SQL statement with the substitution variable in it, a screen will come up with a grid for each variable that needs substitution, and a place
for you to enter the substitute value. This screen will either cache the substitute
variable name and value, across the execution of statements, or clear them after every statement, depending on your preferences. This can be very helpful
if you run the same statements, all the time, or you use the same substitution variables
all the time.

    So many more features to help you out as a developer. You can visit the following Web Site :

    http://www.erols.com/erikbengtson/

    If you try it, and still have questions, don't hesitate to write for more information.
But try it, I'm sure you will be satisfied.

    Good Luck