Re: Forms 4.5 and 5.0

From: Adrian Klingel <klingela_at_nospam.nt.com>
Date: 1998/04/13

Arvind,

An object library can contain object groups. Your object library(s) are automatically opened and referenced when you open the forms designer. An object library has a tab screen interface, to allow you to group objects together in a way that makes sense to you. Finally, objects within an object library can be "smartclassed", which I'lll attempt to explain.

Simply put, a property class is a group of properties that you want to be inherited by other objects. To assign a property class to an object, you've got to drill down to the property sheet, or else change it dynamically at runtime. Either way, you can't just right click and choose from a menu to get this inheritance. Conversely, an object that is declared as a smartclass in your object library (green check mark) can be quickly and easily referenced in your form by other objects *of the same type*. Makes it much easier to enforce GUI standards.

I had some major problems learning the difference in the beginning. My fourth call to Oracle Support inquiring about these differences connected me with a technician who photocopied the third chapter from Oracle Education's What's New in Developer/2000 R2.0 course, which explained things really nicely, and had pictures and stuff. Hope this helps.

Adrian