Re: Imitating Forms ON-LOCK trigger for views.

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/04/10

>Hi everybody,
>I'm using blocks based on views. I'm trying to imitate the behaviour of Forms
>when user tries to change a currently locked record ("Could not reserve
>record.Keep trying?"). When a user answers with a "No" I should discard all
>changes the user applied to the current record.
>All this is done in the ON-LOCK trigger.
>THE PROBLEM is - the record seems to be locked in the ON-LOCK trigger.
>None of the built-ins seem to work there. I tried to set the DATABASE_VALUE
>to the changed item and set record status to QUERY_STATUS - with no success.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Igal.

I'm not sure if this will help , but the approach we take is to put a null; as the entire contents of the on-lock trigger (so no locks are placed). In the on-insert and on-update triggers, is placed the code to do the actual update/insert into one or more tables. This has the effect of placing a very short lock on the table (while the actual update statement is done), and the last one who saves, 'sticks'.

Dan Received on Fri Apr 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message