Re: connection ASP - Oracle 7.3 via ODBC?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/04/09

Your TNSNAMES entry looks okay. If you can access the database via SQL*Plus on the same machine, then your network configuration should be fine.

You typically specify the connect string to Oracle when you add a new System/User/File DSN. This is done using the MS ODBC Administrator utility to set this up.

What version of the ODBC driver are you using? I have succesfully configured this for many versions of the Oracle7 and Oracle8 ODBC drivers.

On Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:07:47 -0600, Cyrille Bonnet <NOSPAM_cbonnet_at_leopard.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to use ASP to connect to an Oracle 7.3 database. I'm running
>Oracle client and IIS4 on a NT Server, and Oracle 7.3.2.2.0 on a Sun
>Solaris 2.5.1.
>
>A connection to a local Access database works fine (same ASP code), and
>I can connect to my Oracle database via SQLPlus form the NT Server.
>
>Both the Microsoft and the Oracle drivers failed to work (see below for
>the exact error messages), so here are my questions:
>
>* Did somenone get these ODBC drivers to work with Oracle 7.3?
>
>* where are you supposed to specify the Oracle service name you want to
>use in ODBC? I found the DSN, user name, password, but the service
>name??? In other words, how does Oracle know which service to use?
>

>* Oracle driver version 1.15.0301 gives me the error message:
>
>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
>[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open.
>
>*Microsoft driver version 2.73.728303 results in:
>
>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
>[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12154: TNS:could not
>resolve service name
>
>Here's my ASP code:
>
>Set DataConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
>Set Session("ConnObj") = DataConn
>DataConn.ConnectionTimeout = 30
>ConnString="DSN=test;UID=scott;PWD=tiger"
>DataConn.Open(ConnString)
>Set DataCmd = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
>DataCmd.CommandText = "Select * from emp;"
>
>My Tnsnames.ora on the PC includes (I used Easy SQL*Net config to
>configure this file):
>
>test.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = blabla)
> (Port = 1521)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = blabla)
> (Port = 1526)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = WG73)
> )
> )

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message