Re: Web-based App - Best Approach?

From: Jay Couture <jcouture_at_latte.memphis.edu>
Date: 1998/04/08

Chris Hamilton wrote:

> I need some advice ...
>
> We would like to develop an application using a web-based front-end. My
> development days ended with Forms 3.0 and ReportWriter 1.1, I only do DBA
> and OS stuff now. But I've been asked to look into this. I don't think
> the interface has to be anything super-fancy, there will be some PL/SQL
> packages to do the tricky db access stuff. So ...
>
> What would be the best approach? I'm assuming Oracle WebServer is needed,
> and the database will be 7.3.4 or maybe 8.0.3. So for the development,
> which of the following is appropriate: Developer/2000 1.6, Developer/200
> 2.0, or the original approach of WebServer 1.0 where you write PL/SQL that
> generates HTML on-the-fly?
>
> Thanks for any input.

Since you said you don't need anything fancy (frontend)....then all you need is a text editor, the PL/SQL cartridge, Oracle 7.3.x, and OWS 3.x. I have developed two such applications for the University of Tennessee, Memphis in a very short amount of time. It is very helpful to know HTML. The O2K product line uses a Java Applet to deliver and run the form....this requires your users have IE4 or Navigator4.04. As you may or may not know, the Mac is not a very stable platform for either of them. However, even the oldest browsers that support HTML forms can access PL/SQL pages.

Hope this helps, Jay Received on Wed Apr 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message