data migration

From: Robert Rombaut <rrom_at_lle.rochester.edu>
Date: 1998/04/02

[Quoted] We are currently migrating our database from Ingres 6.4 to Oracle 8 under Solaris 2.6. I have had good success migrating the schema with LogicWork's "Erwin" product, but am still trying to determine the best method for migrating the data.

I've looked at two approaches, one is to dump the data to files and use sqlloader to load it into Oracle, and the other is to stream the data (no intermediate files) using MS-Access and ODBC.

The sqlloader approach involves writing a script to dump the data and generate the sqlloader control files, while the MS-Access approach involves setting up an sql statement ("insert into oracle.table as select * from ingres.table") for each table and identifying primary keys as each table is linked into MS-Access. We have about 200 tables.

I would love to hear what other people have done or what tools, if any, address this problem.

Thanks,
-rrr

--

Bob Rombaut