Re: Network Install of Oracle products

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 1998/04/02

We run our Oracle that way....

The 'trick' is to do a standard install from a NT client but to use a network directory( called, in our case the default Orant ) as Oracle_Home after first setting the archive flag on all files in your PC's winnt/system32 directory ( so you can tell which *.dll's were added by the install)

Then export the registry entries on the PC on which you installed the above and edit it to change the drive/directory specification to the network drive where you installed Oracle_Home ( this location should be mapped to the same drive letter for all users of this software )

Place the exported registry file in a directory on the network ( to make things easier, put it in a directory under Oracle_Home) as well as a set of the DLLs identified as above.

Have your users map their drive, and using explorer, dbl-click on the registry file to update their client machine's registry, copy the DLLs into their system32 directory ( replacing only OLDER existing versions) and modify their environment by modifying the path to include orant\bin.

Have your users then create shortcuts to the relevant executables and all should work well.

Good luck.

This is only legal for those who have sufficient licenses to accommodate your number of users, unless you restrict simultaneous access to the files.

If you have questions, please E-Mail me.

john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us