Re: Oracle Encryption

From: Marcus Reichardt <mr_at_diamanda.hh.eunet.de>
Date: 1998/04/01

Samuel Harper wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Does Oracle provide a way to encrypt certain information in an Oracle
> Db? We need to encrypt passwords and credit card numbers.
> Thanks for your help,
> Sam
>
> Samuel Harper
> Cambridge Technology Partners
> Zurich
> (+41 1) 395 40 72
> (+41 22) 306 46 94 - voice mail
> sharpe_at_ctp.com

I think the "Trusted Oracle" DBMS version uses encryption techniques for advanced authentication and signing, but i don't know if it is selled outside US/CAN or even to customers other than US Government departures.

An alternative is to place the database files for critical tables into an encrypted file system (there are several products offered for Unix and NT) and rely on standard DBMS privileges.

If you need to access critical data via network, you need a secure middleware beyond SQL*Net and IP session security. I have worked on a project that did exactly that. The final product used strong encryption in an internet or intranet environment based on public/private key algorithms.

Marcus Reichardt
Consultant Received on Wed Apr 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message