Re: SQLNet/ODBC security and encryption

From: Doug Carter <dcarter_at_tui.com.au>
Date: 1998/04/01

Hi Dan,

In answer to your questions..

>Does Microsoft ODBC use SQLNet for transmissions, or does ODBC communicate
>with the remote databases directly?

Microsoft's ODBC for Oracle requires SQLNet. There are however other drivers which do not.

>Can ODBC do administrative commands such as CREATE USER for Oracle?

I believe you can do pretty much anything through ODBC that SQL allows (if the connected user has the permissions of course.)

>Is or can SQLNet or ODBC transmissions be secured (encrypted)?

By default these transactions are not secure - and connection details including passwords are easy to identify using one of the many TCP/IP sniffers. I'm not sure what SQLNet and ODBC can do regards security in their natural state - but there are products which encryt ODBC/SQLNet packets.

Cheers,

Doug Carter
Database Administrator
TUI Consulting Received on Wed Apr 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message