Re: multi-platform applications

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1998/03/31

In article <jdutcher-3003980920040001_at_judy_dutcher.chinalake.navy.mil>, J. G. Dutcher <jdutcher_at_ridgenet.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to create an application that will run on either PCs or
> Macinstoshes. Would appreciate any "lessons" learned advice from
> anyone with experience in this area. I hate re-inventing the
> wheel. I also hate headaches from beating my head on my desk if what
> I'm trying to do really isn't do able.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> J.G. Dutcher

We are writing our forms on PC's and making sure they work on the Mac. Fonts and field sizes are our biggest concern. On the PC, we use MS Sans Serif 8, and on Mac, Geneva 10. The item widths for smaller fields have to be a little wider to accommodate the Mac font.

We use the "Character" coordinate system. I think using the character coordinate system, the Mac window doesn't shrink down as much as if you use the "Real" coordinate system.

Single-row scrolling blocks--the scroll bar on the Mac doesn't work, so you have to allow the user to enter an item in the block so the arrow keys can be used to scroll.

I have a Mac version of the QA utility form, and had to tinker with some window and canvas settings for the Mac that had no bearing on the PC. This is partly because the Mac has no all-encompassing Forms-MDI-Window that the application runs in -- On the mac, your form just runs in the primary window you define in the form.

Good luck,
Steve Cosner

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088
Downloadable Quick Access utility form: Display and update any table. Received on Tue Mar 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message