Re: The internal password!

From: Vsevolod Afanasjev <afanasjev_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 1998/03/31

No, the password for INTERNAL is not CHANGE_ON_INSTALL. This is password for SYS which is not the same as INTERNAL.

As SYS, you can log in in two different ways:

  1. CONNECT SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL
  2. CONNECT SYS/ORACLE AS SYSDBA
The way #1 gives you all standard SYS privileges defined in GRANT (system privilege) is SQL Reference Manual.

The way #2 gives some additional privileges, namely the right to:
STARTUP
SHUTDOWN
CREATE DATABASE
Alternatively, these privileges are available after

CONNECT INTERNAL/ORACLE The password ("ORACLE") is default on some systems (Personal Oracle) where during the installation database is not created. Instead, the database files are simply being copied from the installation media (CD). (The password is stored in SYSTEM tablespace).

If you system is based on "normal" installation, i.e. CREATE DATABASE is actually executed, then you should be able to specify this password during the installation.

Finally, on UNIX you need to be a member of dba group.

You need to look in OS-dependent documentation, i.e. Getting started on Windows95/NT etc.

On Windows, Oracle is typically using password file (hidden file in ORACLE_HOME\database, you can see it with attrib). Look for values like ORA_PWD_FILE (or ORA_SID_PWD_FILE) in Windows registry. This file is greated during installation *before* database creation.

However, you cannot recover the password from the file. If you already installed Oracle and don't know the password, try to login without password (i.e. CONNECT INTERNAL), or try ORACLE. If this does not help, you neet to re-install it.