Re: Oracle Encryption

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: 1998/03/26

Samuel Harper wrote in message <351A1C6A.1C9AA0B0_at_ctp.com>...
>Hi everyone,
>Does Oracle provide a way to encrypt certain information in an Oracle
>Db? We need to encrypt passwords and credit card numbers.
>Thanks for your help,

Oracle 7.1 + provides encrypting passwords during db logon.

You may have a look at Advanced Networking Option (working with SQL*Net).
It provides for example transparent encryption of all traffic. However, there are some export restrictions outside the USA and Canada (key length).
I do not know, what about legal issues of using advanced key-exchange systems like Kerberos in distributed systems. ANO can use Kerberos, DCE, and so on.

Regards,
Piotr Kolodziej
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Thu Mar 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message