Re: Help Please! ora-12500 error

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1998/03/25

thomasl_at_expansion.com wrote >>
> I have a Dec Alpha running Oracle 7.3.2 server.
>
> All my client PCs (Win95) was able to connect to the DB server via
 SQLNET.

> Now for some reason it is giving me this error:
> SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.2.0.0 - Production on Tue Mar 24 09:40:11 1998
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
> ERROR: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
> Enter user-name:

I have seen this error while setting up sqlnet ver 2 on Oracle ver 7.1.5 under VMS 6.1 so I believe that you should look at the following:

In your ora_network admin subdirectory on the database server the listener file parameter sid_list_listener list should contain a program = sub-parameter that points to the script that starts the session. This script is named orasrv_netv2_SID.com on our system and is based on the sample script in the same directory orasrv_netve_com.sample.

I hope this helps.   Received on Wed Mar 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message