Re: Convert query output to MS Excel

From: Guillermo Labatte <labatteg_at_usa.net>
Date: 1998/03/24

Maybe there are more sophisticated products but I've found that the standard Unix (AIX 4.1) tools do the job pretty well. I just use a shell script that unloads the query results to a temp file. Then I use awk to create an HTML table from the data. That table appears in the web browser and a user can look at it, print it or cut and paste it to Excel or Word.
There are queries that simply last too long. In that cases I use another approach. The shell script that proceses the HTML form schedules an at job to be executed at night (in order to avoid performance degradation people that use those reports agreed to receive the results the day after). Again, the at job does an unload using commas as field separators. The data is saved in a temp file with .csv extension. The file is then converted using uuencode and attached to a mail message. Excel does the .csv -> .xls conversion automatically when the user opens the attachment.