Re: Roles and security

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/22

>We have created Oracle roles for grouping privileges in a Forms
>application. We are using
>DBMS_SESSION(SET_ROLE('rolename')) to set the roles for that session.
>We will put a password
>on the role pretty soon.
>
>All users are created and granted a default role of CONNECT.
>
>This works and gives people just CONNECT role outside the application.
>
>My question is - does calling DBMS_SESSION works with any and all
>front-end tools, assuming they are able to call stored procedures....i.e
>does Powerbuilder use Oracle security in a similar way?
>
>In SQL *Plus SET ROLE <rolename> enables a role for a session. But SET
>is not a generic SQL command which can be called by any front end tool,
>hence my question on DBMS_SESSION
>
>Hope I get some interesting feedback
>
>Raman Batra, rrbatra_at_feist.com, Oracle DBA

The DBMS_SESSION can be called by any program that can called a stored procedure, including PowerBuilder. All applications use Oracle security in the same way - if the Oracle engine says it can't be seen, nobody sees it from anything.

Dan Received on Sun Mar 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message