Roles and security

From: raman batra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: 1998/03/20

[Quoted] We have created Oracle roles for grouping privileges in a Forms application. We are using
DBMS_SESSION(SET_ROLE('rolename')) to set the roles for that session. We will put a password
on the role pretty soon.

All users are created and granted a default role of CONNECT.

This works and gives people just CONNECT role outside the application.

My question is - does calling DBMS_SESSION works with any and all front-end tools, assuming they are able to call stored procedures....i.e does Powerbuilder use Oracle security in a similar way?

In SQL *Plus SET ROLE <rolename> enables a role for a session. But SET is not a generic SQL command which can be called by any front end tool, hence my question on DBMS_SESSION

Hope I get some interesting feedback

Raman Batra, rrbatra_at_feist.com, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Mar 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message