Oracle Reports: how flexible are they?

From: Manfred Tischendorf <07142980027-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1998/03/20

Dear Reports experts,

I have a question which concerns dynamical built reports. In general I do not know, if I can build reports which can change the appearance according to user input.
I do not mean the layout, but I mean the listed attributes and the order of them and what is more important, the group by functionality. I think an example will make it clear what I am looking for:

In a company there are different hierarchies of employees:
- management

  • section leader
  • team leader
  • employee

For the projects in the company they store data about the time the projects take, the costs and the persons which are involved.

To simplify the example, imagine all these attributes stored in one table projects which contains the following attributes:

  • project_identification
  • project_owner (may be the management, a single section or a team)
  • project_start_date
  • project_stop_date
  • project costs

These data shall be used for different reports: For example:
(1) the management will know all information in the order above

    grouped by and added (sum) for sections. (2) the project_owner will know all about his projects (3) the section_leader will know all information in the order

    project_start_date, project_stop_date, project_owner grouped     by team for his own section
:
:
... and so forth. Do I have to write one report for each question or can I write one dynamic report with a userdriven group clause and a flexible order of the attributes? The background for this is, that the user (management, section_leader, team_leader) has am Oracle Forms mask where he can select (depending from his priviledges) the report he wants to generate. Team_leaders have only the rights to see their own projects, section_leaders can see all projects in their sections and the management can see all.

How can I spare work to do by reusing the reports and regroup and reorder the output?

Thanks for any advice

Yours Sincerely

Manfred Tischendorf

      /\